The IPL opening ceremony this year after the Committee of Administrators (CoA) met in New Delhi on Friday afternoon and have decided to send a letter to the International Cricket Council raising concerns about the security of the players at the 2019 World Cup.
They decided to allocate the money set aside for it to the families of the CRPF personnel killed in the Pulwama terror attack.
After an hour long meeting over the letter to be sent to ICC, CoA chairman Vinod Rai said, “We have mentioned in the letter about our concerns after the Pulwama terrorist attack”.
As a mark of respect to the slain CRPF men, it has been decided to scrap the ceremony for the event’s 12th edition beginning March 23.
“We will not have any inaugural function for the IPL and the money budgeted for that goes to the martyrs’ families,” said Committee of Administrators chairman Vinod Rai.
The CoA decided that India will not be playing against Pakistan in the 2010 World Cup in England. They even said they will urge other nations to cut cultural as well as social ties with a nation rightly called as ‘terrorist hub’.
This is how fans reacted:
There will be no #IPL2019 opening ceremony this year, Instead the amount will be donated to the families of pulwama martyrs
Now the money won't go to the Bollywood actors doing some item songs but to the real heroes #IPL
Brilliant step taken by #BCCI .
Really good gesture 👌
— Satish_Vasisht (@SatishSrinivas7) February 22, 2019
— Akash patel (@Akashpatel233) February 22, 2019
BREAKING NEWS!! 🏏🏏🏏🏏🏏🏏🏏
No Opening ceremony in this year's IPL!
Goodjob_ Bcci pic.twitter.com/222gOHkC1H
— Muhammed Azmath Ali (@MdAzmathAli6) February 22, 2019
No IPL opening ceremony this year, Instead the amount will be donated to the families of pulwama martyred soldiers.
– Vinod Rai. BCCI CoA cheaf
It's really a great news♥️
— Hariram Chaudhary🇮🇳 (@Hariramch) February 22, 2019
— Nitesh ranjan (@DrNiteshr) February 22, 2019
Very appreciable decision made by the Committee of Administrators (COA) of BCCI today that there will be no opening ceremony of IPL in this year and the money that had been allotted to that ceremony will be going to the martyrs' families of Pulwama Attack. 🙏👌
— Anabil Bhattacharya (@ianabil) February 22, 2019
Good that IPL opening ceremony has been scrapped and instead money will be donated to families of martyrs of Pulwama attack! @BCCI
— Dhairya Brahmbhatt (@dhairyarf) February 22, 2019